Pronounced as roe-zay-she-uh, Rosacea is a common skin condition where the facial skin becomes red and develops bumps and veiny patterns. One may also develop pus-filled lumps, and the redness may flare-up for a week and tone down for another. There is no known underlying disease or condition that may cause Rosacea, but it mainly develops due to the swelling of facial blood vessels. It is mostly seen in middle-aged women with lighter skin tone and is often mistaken for acne or natural red skin color that fair women develop.
If not treated in time, the swollen blood vessels can clog the oil glands around the nose and cheeks, causing them to bulge out, a condition known as ‘rhinophyma.’
What Are The Symptoms Of Rosacea?
Apart from the excess redness over the central region of the face, Rosacea may also cause other symptoms like:
- Swollen, visible veins over your nose and cheeks
- Warmth and tenderness over your facial skin
- Cystic lumps that appear to be like pimples
- Dry eyes with redness and irritation
- Pain and swelling in the eyes without any redness
- Gradual bulging of nose
- Vision problems
What Causes Rosacea?
Rosacea is often considered a hereditary condition as it is more prevalent in families with a history of this condition. Apart from your genes, all other causes are known to flare-up the existing state, making it more apparent. Such triggers may include:
- Excess consumption of hot drinks or spicy dishes
- Being in extremely cold or hot areas
- Severe cases of acne or bacterial infection
- Consuming medications that dilate blood vessels
- Overexposure to sunlight
- Using ill-suited cosmetic products
How Does Dr. E Treat Rosacea?
Dr. Ebrahim follows a thorough consultation technique to understand the patient’s family and health history while providing Rosacea treatment in Vancouver, BC. The enlarge blood veins usually distinguish it from other skin disorders, yet it requires a proper visual diagnosis.
Dr. Ebrahim has a vast experience of working with modern medications that work towards controlling the symptoms of Rosacea and enhancing the overall beauty of your face. During your consultation, she will help you understand what your skin is going through and guide you with all the necessary precautions for improving your skin health.
Patients Before & After Consulting Dr. E
Frequently Asked Questions
Whether you visit Dr. Ebrahim or any rosacea treatment clinic in Vancouver, the primary goal of any doctor is to understand your family history and symptoms to come up with a personalized treatment plan for your condition. In this process, you may be asked several essential questions like:
- When did these symptoms first emerge?
- Are your symptoms consistent or irregular? And what seems to worsen them?
- Did any of your family members have this condition?
- Do you have other systemic or autoimmune disorders?
During the consultation, Dr. Ebrahim will give her best in helping you understand everything you need to know about Rosacea. However, doctors always welcome doubts and queries, so you can start by asking questions such as:
- Will my condition improve by itself our will I need medical help?
- What medications will best suit my skin type?
- Is my condition mild, or will it become chronic?
- What precautions should I practice from hereon?