Hair loss treatment, hair loss causes, hair loss
Stress is an inevitable part of life, and it affects our bodies in several ways.  One of the lesser-known impacts of stress is hair loss.

How can stress cause hair loss?

Hair loss caused due to stress is known as telogen effluvium. This condition takes place when there is a disruption in the normal growth cycle of your hair follicles. Normally, about 90% of your hair is in the growing phase, while the remaining 10% is in the resting phase. However, when you experience significant stress, a larger number of hair enters into the resting phase at once.

The result? A noticeable increase in shedding and thinning hair. It might not happen immediately after a stressful event; it can take several months for this type of hair loss to become apparent.

But why does stress trigger this response? 

Well, when we are stressed out, our body releases hormones like cortisol that can disrupt normal bodily functions – including hair growth. Additionally, high-stress levels may lead to behaviors such as pulling or twisting one’s hair unconsciously.

It’s important to note that not all types of hair loss are directly caused by stress alone. Factors like genetics or underlying medical conditions can also be major hair loss causes.

Hair loss causes:

Genetics (Hereditary Hair Loss)

Hormonal Changes and Medical Conditions:

Medications or Supplements:

Radiation Therapy to the Head:


Certain Hairstyles and products:

Poor Diet and Nutrient Deficiencies:

Types of Stress-Related Hair Loss

Types Description Cause Manifestation
Telogen Effluvium Sudden and widespread shedding of hair. Intense stress pushes hair follicles into a resting phase. Shedding occurs approximately three months after a stressful event.
Trichotillomania Compulsive hair-pulling due to stress and anxiety. Can be a result of stress and anxiety. Can be focal or involve entire scalp, eyebrows, or body hair.
Alopecia Areata The immune system attacks hair follicles. Stress may trigger or worsen the condition. Patchy hair loss on the scalp or body.
Androgenic Alopecia (Male/Female Pattern Baldness) Genetic hair loss pattern exacerbated by stress. Genetic predisposition coupled with stress factors. Gradual hair thinning in specific patterns.

Hair Loss Treatment with Dr. Shehla Ebrahim

Several treatment options are available for addressing hair loss, considering the underlying cause and type of hair loss. Here’s how Dr. Ebrahim can help you deal with hair loss:

Topical Medications:

Prescription Medications:

Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy:

Lifestyle Changes:


Book your appointment with Dr. Shehla Ebrahim for hair loss treatment

Stress can have a profound impact on our bodies, including our hair. By understanding the connection between stress and hair loss and implementing coping mechanisms to manage stress levels, you can take control of your well-being.

If your case of stress-induced hair loss is severe or persistent despite your best efforts at self-care, seeking professional help is recommended. Consult Dr. Shehla Ebrahim, who specializes in treating hair loss and can provide valuable insights and effective solutions tailored specifically for you.

With her expertise in diagnosing and treating various forms of hair loss causes, hair treatments, and hair loss treatment techniques, Dr. Shehla Ebrahim offers holistic approaches that target the root cause while promoting healthy regrowth.


Book your appointment today!